Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thanks for nuthin!!

I would like to thank the truck driving industry. Thank you for "training" people in two weeks and putting them on the road in killing machine asap.

There used to be a time when truck drivers were courteous, prepared, respectful, careful, safe, and knowledgeable. Granted there was once a time when all drivers conducted themselves honorably. Keep in mind that an 18 wheel truck is nothing like a 4 wheel car!

More and more often I find myself giving a "professional" driver more credit than they deserve. I drive a lot and more often I find myself put in a dangerous situation because a driver is not paying attention. I am sad to say that it is rare to find a CDL driver who can actually drive! I do know many drivers, however I see a lot more on the roads and they scare me! Texting in a regular car risks lives, texting while piloting a loaded (or unloaded) tractor-trailer is insanity!

I used to admire CDL drivers for their skill and constant vigilance while driving. Now I get away from them as quickly as possible. If you are a CDL driver and you are angered by this, feel free to leave a comment. Hopefully you will also be mindful of your own habits and communicate the short comings of others. Today I was cut of my a Flying J driver pulling doubles. Of course, you all know that Flying J hauls fuel and usually in doubles, as was the case today.

I drive a VW GTI, two door little hot-hatch. I love my car and the fact that its small! However, regardless of size I never would have pulled a move like this driver did. Obviously the hazmat test and training must have slipped this fellow's mind right. I agree that a lot probably slipped his mind, since he was busy chatting away on a cell. He must have missed the BRIGHT RED car already in the lane he didn't check!

All I ask is that when you climb out of your sleeper take 5 minutes. Consider the size of your truck, the size of an average family car, and the life of the cutest 'lil 3 year old I've ever seen. Yes you are bigger, yes you are on the road more, but those are the 2 best reasons for you to be safe! In a single moment of distraction you could murder me, my baby boy, and many other people in many cars all in a split second. Can you live with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment